44 Torbay Road, Suite 100, St. John’s NL, A1A 2G4
Twitter: @ourvoiceNLSA Fax: (709) 753-7599
Mandate: To provide support, friendship, and information to the stuttering community, instilling a sense of self-worth, which is often missing in the lives of people who stutter. The NLSA consists of a passionate team of volunteers who are dedicated to bringing hope and empowerment to children, adolescents, and adults who stutter, their families, and professionals, through advocacy and support.
Highlight of Programs/Services:
- Stuttering Support Group
- 3rd Thursday of each month; open to people who stutter, their families, friends, and significant others.
- Run & Walk Awareness
- The proceeds from the `…A Million Things I Need to Say’ 1k/5k Walk and Run for Stuttering Awareness go directly to support the NL Association of Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists in providing a Bursary Program which helps to subsidize specialized treatment programs and equipment for children, adolescents, and adults with communication challenges.
- PWS Conference
- This one-day event is a chance to learn about stuttering, interact with people who stutter, and attend workshops and seminars about stuttering. The event features information about stuttering in school, the workplace and in family life, issues surrounding treatment, fluency, current research, mental health, common misconceptions, employment barriers, and more.
- Provide the general public with the most up-to-date information about stuttering.
- Support research into the causes and treatments of stuttering.
- Ensure that the VOICE of people who stutter is heard by influencing and advancing issues relevant to people who stutter at all political levels.
- Support speech-language pathologists and allied health professionals who work with those who stutter.