This page contains a comprehensive list of centres providing inpatient services in St. John’s Newfoundland and surrounding areas.
Hope Valley Centre:
Address: 15 Lincoln Road Grand Falls Windsor NL A2A 2E1
|Tel: (709) 292-8360 |
Fax: (709) 489-6810
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Hope Valley is a live-in treatment center for 12-18 year olds in the province who are concerned about their drug or alcohol use.
- Hope Valley is located in Grand Falls-Windsor and the average stay is 3-4 months. The Centre houses up to 12 youth and provides a variety of services such as detox, counselling, schooling and life skills training.
- Please discuss Hope Valley with your health care provider or contact us at 709-292-8360 to help decide if this service is right for you or a loved one.
- For more information check out these resources:
- Out-of-Province Treatment Policy: The Department of Health and Community Services has guidelines for the application process of Out-of-Province (OOP) addictions treatment and specialized mental health services. Treatment options within the province must first be fully utilized and/or deemed not appropriate to meet specific client needs before funding approval for out-of-province treatment is provided. For more information, visit our website.
- Humberwood is a live-in, non-medical treatment Centre located in Corner Brook. If you are a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador and over the age of 19, Humberwood may be able to help with your drug, alcohol and/or gambling concerns.
- Humberwood offers a structured program that focuses on your needs through individual, group and family counselling. There are private rooms and the usual stay is 21 days.
- Most people go to counselling or other programs first, but if you feel that you need residential services, ask your physician, nurse or counsellor about Humberwood. They can assist with a referral if Humberwood is right for you.
- For more information call 709-634-4506 or visit the webpage.
The Recovery Centre (16+):
Address: The Recovery Centre 80 Charter Ave Building 532, Pleasantville St. John’s, NL A1A 1S5
How to Reach Us:
Telephone: 709-752-4980 or toll-free at 1-877-752-4980.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
The Recovery Centre is a 19-bed provincial inpatient treatment and withdrawal management centre.
We offer a non-threatening, non-judgmental environment that encourages you to begin a recovery process. The program focuses on stabilizing your physical and psychological health through the withdrawal process. An addictions counsellor is available to meet with you while at the Recovery Centre for assessment, crisis counselling and discharge planning purposes. You will also have access to in-house education and group sessions, as well as onsite self-help meetings. The length of stay is determined by individual need.
The service is available to anyone 16 years of age and older, who is intoxicated or experiencing withdrawal from alcohol, drugs and/or gambling.
How to access this service
You can self-refer by calling us at 709-752-4980 or toll-free at 1-877-752-4980. We will ask you some questions over the phone to make sure this is the best service for you. A referral (PDF) can also be made through a hospital emergency unit, a health professional or community agency.
The Grace Centre:
- The Grace Centre is a live-in addiction treatment Centre located in Harbour Grace. If you are a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador and over the age of 18, The Grace Centre may be able to help with your drug and/or alcohol concern.
- The Grace Centre offers a structured program that focuses on your needs through individual, group and family counselling. There are 18 private rooms and the usual stay is 28 days.
- Most people go to counselling or other programs first, but if you feel that you need residential services, ask your physician, nurse or counsellor about The Grace Centre. They can assist with a referral if The Grace Centre is right for you.
- For more information:
- Click here for the Grace Centre Video Tour.
- Visit the webpage Or, Phone: 709-945-4500
The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre:
Address: 300 Prince Phillip Drive, St. John’s, NL A1B 3V6
|Emergency: (709) 777-4575 |
General Inquiries and Patient Information: (709) 777-6300
Health Information and Advice for Pediatrics & Poison Control: 811 For an online Phone Directory, click here.
Service Provider Website: https://www.easternhealth.ca/facilities/janeway/
The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre, part of the Health Sciences Centre Complex, is Newfoundland and Labrador’s only hospital specializing in pediatric health care. The Janeway is a tertiary care centre with modern emergency, diagnostic, operating and development and rehabilitation departments.
Children and Adolescents.
Highlight of Services offered:
The Janeway Children’s Health and Rehabilitation Centre provides specialized pediatric and maternal health care for people throughout the entire province. Room accommodations include:
- 42 acute care medical surgical beds
- Seven acute care psychiatry beds
- 28 neonatal intensive care beds
- Six pediatric intensive care beds
For accommodations for parents, please see Ronald McDonald House. For other accommodations, please see Places to stay.
- Blood collection
- Computed Tomography (CT Scan)
- Emergency Services (ER)
- Janeway child and adolescent psychiatry unit (J4D)
- Janeway family centre
- Janeway resource centre
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Medical Imaging Program
- Memorial university (MUN) family medicine clinic
- Pastoral care, ethics and bereavement
- Radiography (X-ray)
- Virtual care
- Volunteer Services
- Youth Outpatient Psychiatry
- Tuckamore is a live-in treatment Centre for 12 – 18 year olds in Newfoundland and Labrador who have complex mental health concerns.
- Tuckamore is located in Paradise and the average length of stay for young people is between 6 – 12 months.
- The program includes individual counselling, skills group and family support as well as occupational therapy, therapeutic recreation and art and music therapy. The therapeutic mileau at Tuckamore is Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Tuckamore provides a safe, comfortable, home-like environment, an on-site school (NLESD), a multipurpose room, a physical fitness area, gymnasium, and an apartment for family visiting overnight.
- You can also ask your physician, nurse, clinician or social worker about other supports for youth in your area (i.e., counselling). If Tuckamore is right for you, a mental health clinician can make make the referral.
- For more information:
- Click here for the Tuckamore Centre Youtube video.
- Youth Treatment Centre Brochure (PDF, 2019)
- Or, Call 709-752-3914