716 Water Street, St. John’s, NL, A1E 1C1
Tel: (709) 726-5902 Shelter: (709) 726-5970 Website: www.sjnfc.com
Mandate: To serve the Aboriginal and broader community through celebration and support of Aboriginal culture and the provision of appropriate programs and services delivered in an atmosphere of trust, respect and friendship
Target Population: Everyone, with a focus on First Nations, Metis, and Inuit.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Inuit Gathering Circle
- Community Cultural Circle
- Men’s Drumming
- Women’s Zumba, co-ed Yoga, and volleyball. Competitive teams also play each Monday in the St. John’s Metro Volleyball League.
- Tea & Sharing
- Mi’kMaq Women’s Circle
- Community Craft.
- Youth Employment Services
- Youth Drumming
- Play Group
- Turtle Island Summer Camp
- After School Program:
- The Royal Eagles Backpack program: Returning to school in the fall can be a very stressful time for students and their families. Often, a major stressor is the added expense of school supplies.
- Healthy Snack Program: Funded by the Kids Eat Smart Foundation, the Healthy Snack Program provides participants with a nutritional snack daily.
- Homework Program: September to June, Monday to Friday staff are available between the hours of 2:00pm-4:00pm for homework help or tutoring. Tutoring occurs at the request of parents or youth. Staff are available to work one on one with youth to help meet their individual needs.
- Employment and Housing Services
- Aboriginal Diversity Training
- Shanawdithit Shelter
- Aboriginal Arts Program
- Healing Circle
- Spirit Horse
- Cultural Support
- Aboriginal Patient Navigator Program: a link between Aboriginal communities and Eastern Health.