YWCA St. John’s
Address: 291 Water Street, Suite 302, St. John’s, NL A1C 1B9
|Tel: (709) 726-9922 |
Fax: (709) 726-4144
|Twitter: @YWCAYYT Instagram: @ywcayyt |
To educate the community about particular issues affecting girls and women; to create opportunities for girls and women to learn, achieve and participate; to ensure our work is grounded in the real life issues affecting girls and women; to advance social change through public engagement and use our voice to call for social justice
Women, girls, and gender-diverse folks of all ages.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
Young Women’s Leadership Program (YWLP):
YWCA’s Young Women’s Leadership Program aims to equip young women and non-binary youth with the required tools to exercise their leadership abilities with peers in their communities. Throughout the two-day training, participants will have the chance to build on their leadership skills, network with like-minded peers, and gain insight and confidence in their leadership abilities.
The Purpose of the Collective is to further the YWCA’s mission and social justice-oriented goals through events and initiatives centered around peer networking, mentoring, and leadership development. Membership is open to all young women and non-binary youth between the ages of 18-30.
Power of Being You:
An empowerment-based, violence prevention conference for youth. This conference is typically held in partnership with a local school and supports youth from ages 12 to 15 to build confidence in their leadership and critical thinking skills through the development of a stronger sense of self-awareness and awareness of others.
- A 19 week employment program for young women and gender diverse youth experiencing multiple barriers to employment. Eligibility includes:
- Currently out of school, unemployed, or underemployed (working less than 20 hours/week)
- Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident, or someone who has been granted refugee status in Canada
- Able to attend programming for 30 hours a week, online or in-person (St. John’s, NL and surrounding areas).
- The program includes:
- PAID employability skills training (7 to 8 weeks)
- PAID 12 week work experience in a field of interest
- A 19 week employment program for newcomer women and gender diverse folks 18+ experiencing multiple barriers to employment. All immigration statuses are welcome. This program includes:
- PAID employability skills training (7 weeks)
- PAID 12 week work placement in a field of interest
Fostering Collaboration of Services for 2SLGBTQIA+ Newcomers in Newfoundland and Labrador: Peer support group and mentorship program for LGBTQIA+ newcomers.
Women of Distinction Awards:
WOD Awards are designed to celebrate the achievements of women and give them a platform to share their stories in a way that empowers, inspires and motivates others to learn, achieve and participate. Nominations may be made by any member of the public.