The Works – Memorial University
Address: 17 Westerland Road, St. John’s, NL A1B 3R7
|Field HouseTel: (709) 864-4422 |
Fax: (709) 864-3254
Aquarena Tel: (709) 864-3798
Hours operation: please check website for updated hours
Promote wellness by providing accessible, diverse, and innovative programs and services to the university community and the general public.
Families, students, alumni and the community, all ages from infants to seniors.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Fitness Centres in the Aquarena and Field House, with fitness classes on dry land and in water.
- For schedule fitness/pool click here
- Summer Camp: runs from June to Sept click here to register. Click here for further information or email us at email@example.com
- Youth Fitness Program, Junior Squash Memorial University of NL Varsity – Athletics
- click here for winter hours and click here for summer hours
- Squash courts: two international sized squash courts are located on the upper level of the Aquarena Fitness Centre.
- Please note: Bookings for these courts are reserved for Aquarena Fitness Centre Members only and equipment is not provided.Protective eye wear and proper court attire are mandatory.
- Click here to book out the squash court
- Membership options include Basic, Deluxe, and add on another member option. Full details what is included in the membership click here
- Basic: $ 75 (one month) $205 (3 mon), $365 (6 mon), $610 (1 yr)
- Basic 2nd member add on: $185 (3mon), $330 (6 mon), $550 (1yr)
- Deluxe: $ 90 (one mon), $240 (3 mon), $435 (6 mon), $725 (1yr)
- Deluxe 2nd member add on: $220 (3 mon), $395 (6 mon), $660 (1yr)
- All prices listed above are plus HST and are subject to change.
- Indoor track field: 6 lane 200m track. Walk, run, jog, stroll or wheel and you can also bring your baby stroller and walk around the track
- Please note that all users wear non-marking indoor footwear
- Sports court
To confirm the court schedule or to book a court (Members & Students only) please call the Field House Customer Service Centre at 864-4422.
- Harwood Basketball court: located in the field house and is used for recreational basketball and hoops. This court is also for the Memorial Sea~Hawks varsity training and competition.
- Green Court A: Badminton/Pickleball: Nets are set up for single or double games and there are 3 table tennis tables available
- Green Court B: Volleyball:Get a group together for a game of volleyball. A minimum of 10 participants is required to book the court. Fitness classes: During Fitness Classes, participants use Green Court B.
- The workout: is public fitness space which includes cardio equipment, a line of selectorized strength training equipment and free weights.
- please note that access to The Workout is available through a Field House Combo or an Deluxe Membership.
- For more details click here
- The works offer a number of fitness classes including:
- Cardio & Tone, HITT (High Intensity Interval Training)
- Morning Fit, Step (Basic step), total body workout, yoga (basic level), Zumba and Spin all of which take place at the Field House on Court B.
- For more information click here
- Memberships can include a variety of fitness, aquatic and recreation options for employees and their families. For more information contact us at (709) 864-3809
- Meet one on one with a certified personal trainer who can help you at any fitness level
- Recreational swimming
- Lane swim: open to swimmers 15 years and older
- lanes are divided into fast, average, slow for lap swimming
- lanes are 50m, 25m or 18m. Subject to availability
- no access to diving boards, slides or towers
- click here for more information on lane swimming
- Tot Swim: Open to children 5 and under along with adult accompaniment
- Public swim:
- open to all ages but children under 8 must be accompanied by someone 15 years or older. Max 2 children per supervisor
- includes: waterslides, pool toys, diving board, and tarzan rope
- Learn to Swim Program
- is for students to progress at their own pace and includes 10 levels designed to teach four basic swimming strokes
- Classes include: Parent & baby (ages 3 months-2yrs), tot swim (2-5yrs), advanced tot (2-5yrs), group lessons (5-16yrs), low ratio lessons (5-16yrs), private/family lessons (all ages), adult lessons (16+)
- click here to register to the classes mentioned above
- Lifeguard training
- Junior lifeguard training: work on First Aid, lifesaving skills, physical fitness, leadership and teamwork
- will be introduced to physical skills which are required for their future Bronze medallion, Bronze Cross and National Lifeguard Services Award.
- Recommended for ages 9 years and up. Prerequisites: Completed Aquarena Learn to Swim Level Bronze
- Aquatic certifications: Bronze star, bronze medallion (13+), bronze cross (14+)
- Lifeguard training: national lifeguard services (15+)
- Standard First Aid & CPR + AED (13+) 2 day course
- Please note that the Lifesaving Society runs all course exams. Exams usually take place on the last day of the course
- Click here to register for any of the training mentioned above
- The Aquatic Sport Clubs listed below are operated by independent organizations or private businesses. These programs are not run or managed by The Works. The clubs include:
- St John’s Sea Stars Synchronized Swimming Club: synchronized swimmers of all ages who have fun, exercise and compete in competitions.
- For further information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us online http://www.seastarssynchro.com
- The edge diving club: children of all ages enjoy the sport of divining in a safe fun environment. For further information please email us at email@example.com.
- Legends swimming: performance based competitive swim club that trains out of the Aquarena and MUN Pool. Swimmers interested in joining the Legends should swim at an Aquarena Bronze or Aqua Quest 10 level or higher.
- or tryouts and more information please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (709) 864-3802. We can be found on the web at http://www.legendswimming.com.
- The MUN/MI Student Recreation Membership Includes Access to:
- Field house, Aquarena
- Students must present their MUN or MI student ID card to the Field House when using Field House or
- Physical Education Building facilities and Aquarena Customer Service Desk when using the Aquarena facilities.
- Without a photo ID you will not receive a wristband or access to the facilities.
- Campus Recreation League
- Any student at Memorial University or Marine Institute or any University faculty or staff member.
- you can register as team, individual and be placed on a team or you can contact Intramural Coordinator to assist you in connecting with more people
- Fall sports include: outdoor soccer, ultimate frisbee and volleyball
- click here to fill out the individual Campus Recreation League registration form and click here to fill out the team registration form