The Autism Society of NL
Address: 70 Clinch Crescent, PO Box 14078, St. John’s, NL A1B 4G8
|Toll-free: 1-866-722-2803 |
Tel: (709) 722-4926
Promoting the development of individual, lifelong, and community-based supports and services for autistic individuals, their families and caregivers. Their vision is a province where the autistic community and their families are valued and respected, and where they receive services and supports based on their individualized strengths, needs and preferences.
The autistic community and their families.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Family Events: ASNL offers a number of events that provide an opportunity to meet others, build friendships, and experience community and leisure activities in a group setting. These events are available for children, youth, and adults.
- Pre-Employment & Career Services: Programming options exist for career coaching and mentorship during high school, a full year of work skill enhancement through community volunteerism and work experience, and employment skill refinement through self and career exploration. Individualized services are available for interview practice, resume building, and employment agency referrals. Career services also work with employers to build community understanding and inclusive hiring practices.
- Community Recreation: ASNL forms partnerships with a number of community organizations to support the inclusion of the autistic community in their programs.
- Physical Art Troupe
- Climbing at Wallnuts
- Digital game creation
- Art classes
- Art therapy
- Rainbow Riders
- Swimming Lessons
- Autistic Led Support Groups: Provides adults the opportunity to meet new people, socialize with peers, discuss interests and challenges and develop self-advocacy skills with others community members.
- Parent Led Support Group: Provides adult’s the opportunity to meet new people, socialize with one another, discuss challenges, shared experiences and provide support
- Family Support Groups: A family engagement initiative designed to connect parents and create an active network of autistic allies.
- Siblings Support Groups: provides siblings the opportunity to learn about autism, socialize with others and talk about their lived experience while developing new friendships. This support group is hosted virtually on a monthly basis. For more information email us at email@example.com
- Caregivers of Autistic Adults Support Group: information based presentations, connecting with others and providing support for those supporting autistic adult’s.
- Classroom Acceptance and Understanding Presentations: ASNL staff provide fun and meaningful presentations to students. Presentations are designed according to grade level, these engaging presentations use age-appropriate stories, videos, games, and discussions to educate students and create understanding and empathy among peers.
- Autism Acceptance and Understanding Presentations: Through tailored sessions ASNLs team can provide support to community organizations, business or anyone offering services to the autistic community.
- Employment Support Group: Designed to allow for learning and guiding around soft skills related to employment. The group is facilitated by an ASNL staff member and a first voice autistic adult who brings an important autistic lens to the activities and discussions. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advocacy: To be apart of change that creates an inclusive province where all people feel respected and valued. On a provincial level ASNL staff are part of and advocate in a number of areas including but not limited to:
- Autism Action Plan Committee
- Provincial-Territorial Advisory Counsel
- Childrens Friendship Program®️ Working Group
- Community Employment Collaboration Working Group
- National advocacy: Autism Canada Provincial & Territorial council, Canadian Autism Spectrum Disorders Alliance (CASDA)