The Autism Society of NL
Address: 70 Clinch Crescent, PO Box 14078, St. John’s, NL A1B 4G8
|Toll-free: 1-866-722-2803 |
Tel: (709) 722-4926
Promoting the development of individual, lifelong, and community-based supports and services for autistic individuals, their families and caregivers. Their vision is a province where the autistic community and their families are valued and respected, and where they receive services and supports based on their individualized strengths, needs and preferences.
The autistic community and their families.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Family Events: ASNL offers a number of events that provide an opportunity to meet others, build friendships, and experience community and leisure activities in a group setting. These events are available for children, youth, and adults.
- Pre-Employment & Career Services: Programming options exist for career coaching and mentorship during high school, a full year of work skill enhancement through community volunteerism and work experience, and employment skill refinement through self and career exploration. Individualized services are available for interview practice, resume building, and employment agency referrals. Career services also work with employers to build community understanding and inclusive hiring practices.
- Community Recreation: ASNL forms partnerships with a number of community organizations to support the inclusion of the autistic community in their programs.
ASNL Engagement Services:
- Autistic Led Support Groups: Provides adults the opportunity to meet new people, socialize with peers, discuss interests and challenges and develop self-advocacy skills with others community members.
- Family Support Groups: A family engagement initiative designed to connect parents and create an active network of autistic allies.
- Classroom Acceptance and Understanding Presentations: ASNL staff provide fun and meaningful presentations to students. Presentations are designed according to grade level, these engaging presentations use age-appropriate stories, videos, games, and discussions to educate students and create understanding and empathy among peers.
- Autism Acceptance and Understanding Presentations: Through tailored sessions ASNLs team can provide support to community organizations, business or anyone offering services to the autistic community.