Boys and Girls Club St. John’s
Address: PO Box 5012, St. John’s, NL, A1C 5V3
|Website: www.bgclub.ca/||Facebook: @bgcstjohns||Twitter: @BGC_of_StJohns|
|Resource Development Coordinator |
Phone: 709-579-0181 ext. 203
|Executive Director |
Phone: 709- 579-0181 ext. 204
|Buckmaster’s Circle Unit |
25 Buckmaster’s Circle
Tel: (709) 579-0181
Fax: (709) 579-4520
|Mundy Pond Unit |
40 Mundy Pond Road
Tel: (709) 579-0181
Fax: (709) 579-0182
To provide a safe, supportive place where children and youth can experience new opportunities, overcome barriers, build positive relationships and develop confidence and skills for life.
Children and youth in St. John’s.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- The Homework Program provides a rich learning environment to complete homework, receive tutoring, and participate in fun, educational activities. Our members have access to fully-equipped education rooms, containing a wide variety of library books, and other resources. Computers are available for homework and learning purposes, with controlled internet access.
- Our Games Room offer a variety of recreational activities, that provide the opportunity for children to socialize in a safe, supervised and fun environment. Activities in the games room include: pool, air hockey, ping pong, square ball, board games, and electronic games, to name a few!
- Our Computer Room offers our member’s access to the internet, educational software and games, opportunities to resume build, learn about computer maintenance, and internet/gaming safety. Computers and internet access is closely monitored (with content filters), but we still find creative ways to build computer skills, while also ensuring kids are having fun!
Arts and Crafts:
- The Arts & Crafts Program enables children to develop their creativity and awareness through a wide range of art based activities. Activities include: painting, textiles, drawing, sculpting and general crafts. This is a great outlet for members; to explore and express themselves!
After School Nutrition:
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of St. John’s is a strong believer in the importance of healthy eating. Healthy eating leads to healthy growth and development and provides children with the energy they need for school and their recreational activities. Our Club’s are proud to be “Junk Food Free”.
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of St. John’s offer a nutritional snack to all members who attend the After School Program. The Snack Program runs from 3:00-3:30 daily. Snacks include fruit, vegetables, cheese, crackers, yogurt, milk and much more.
Health & Wellness:
- The Health & Wellness Program focuses on fun and physical activity by providing members with skills training in various sports and games. Activities include: tag games, running games, soccer, soccer-baseball, floor hockey, handball, basketball, karate, dance, and many variations of other sports and activities. Children get the opportunity to build confidence, master skills, and learn teamwork.
- STRONG Girls! is an action oriented response to research conducted by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Newfoundland and Labrador. This research is in response to a decline in girls involvement in physical recreation, sport and leadership opportunities. STRONG Girls! empowers our female members by providing them the opportunity to grow and succeed in a non-stigmatizing environment, ultimately building confidence and skills.
- The Boys & Girls Club offers programs for youth (ages 13-17) in the community to take part in programs such as sport and recreation, digital literacy, arts & crafts, mentorship and leadership programs.
- The Teen Mentor Program is for teen members who are interested in volunteering in the after-school program. This service-learning program teaches them job-related skills and it rewards them for taking on the commitment of volunteering.
- In addition to volunteering, the members of this program learn skills such as resume writing and job-seeking techniques. The younger members benefit from having role models, as they easily relate to teen members in the Club.
- Our Cooking Program is offered weekly to After School Program members. In this program members are given the opportunity to prepare, cook and taste many healthy recipes. This program will also teach members the importance of food and kitchen safety, food preparation, shopping and more!
- Warm Bellies is a supper program offered to registered members once a week. The purpose is simple: provide children with a nutritious meal. We love seeing children leave with warm, full bellies!
- Throughout the school year the Boys & Girls Clubs of St. John’s coordinate a number of special events; Halloween party and haunted house, Christmas parties, day camps during school closures, Winter Carnival, Easter Day Camps, wake-a-thons, year-end banquet and many special outings!