Recreation Newfoundland and Labrador
Address: 1296A Kenmount Road, Paradise, NL, A1L 1N3
|Tel: (709) 729-3892 |
|Fax: (709) 729-3814|
To develop a province of engaged communities where all people embrace the benefits of recreation to enhance their quality of life.
Recreation leaders (practitioners and volunteers), community recreation committees, commissions and departments, students, and corporate recreation service providers and, other related groups and agencies.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Recreation Newfoundland & Labrador are offering the following training opportunities for individuals, both online and in person. More information specific to individual trainings will be provided closer to the events.
- For upcoming training/workshops, please click here
- Volunteer Recreation Leadership Toolkit: created in partnership Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, and Recreation. The toolkit includes guides from incorporation, programming for success, building capacity, access to schools and much more. Click here to view the toolkit
- The Rec Zone: where you connect, contribute, meet, discuss and learn with other recreation leaders/organizations across Newfoundland and Labrador. Also a great knowledge hub for trainings & presentations
- Types of memberships
- Group membership: for any group that supports the purpose & objectives of the association click here to sign up
- Individual membership: for any person employed or interested in the field of recreation. Click here to sign up
- Commercial membership: for any business that supports the purpose & objectives of the association. Click here to sign up
- Affiliate membership: for any national and/or provincial non-profit group whose objective is to assist in the development of recreation related services in Newfoundland and Labrador. Click here to sign up
- Student membership: for any student enrolled in full time studies in recreation or related fields. Click here to sign up
- Click here to view all the details of what the membership with Recreation NL includes
- click here if you would rather fill out the PDF application for group, individual, commercial, affiliate and student membership
- click here to view the full list of funding/ grant opportunities that will support communities in providing quality recreational/physical activities and special events
Certified Pool Operators Course
- Click here to for future training session
- Registration: CPO® certification courses are designed to provide individuals with the basic knowledge, techniques, and skills of pool and spa operations. Instructors receive comprehensive training and certification to teach the CPO certification program. This training has helped protect millions by reducing hazards at aquatic facilities.
- June 14-16, 2023
- St. John’s Convention Centre
- Registration is open !
- The City of St.John’s, Destination St. John’s, STEP St. John’s and Celebrate NL are coming together for an opportunity for developing new business through partnership and learning
- Highlight all the amazing things that St.John’s and Newfoundland and Labrador has to offer
- Click here to full schedule
Atlantic Recreation & Facilities Conference
- May 29- May 31, 2024
- Fredericton, NB – Delta Hotel
- Registration is now closed
- This exciting Atlantic gathering dedicated to Recreation and Facilities will have keynote speakers, sessions and roundtables focusing on professional development and growth, a trade show focused on programming and purchasing opportunities, along with nightly social events – creating opportunities for collaboration and networking.
- Registration is available for half day as well.
CPSI Playground Safety Training
- Course descriptions and schedules can be found on the CPSI website.
- Theory and practical courses offered online through the Canadian Playground Safety Institute. The theoretical course offers training based on Canadian Children’s Playground Equipment and Surfacing Standards. The practical course offers training to apply the standards and complete an audit.
Arenas Operator Course
- Click here to view future training session
- Registration coming soon
- A comprehensive 4 days of Arena Operations. This training provides the essential skills and knowledge you need to be a great Arena Operator. As well as the latest in practical tips and techniques from the experts, it includes classroom and practical sessions.
- Check out the website to view list of trainings available
- Find upcoming sessions on the Training Calendar
- HIGH FIVE® is Canada’s quality standard for recreation and leisure programs. HIGH FIVE not only provides recreation professionals with training, but also gives organizations program assessment tools, policies and procedures, and resources to raise awareness about the component parts of operating successful programs.
- The You Can Play Too Workshop is a resource that Recreation NL developed with the City of St. John’s to facilitate inclusive recreation. The training provides information on how to create an inclusive environment, how to adapt activities, and provides behavioural management techniques.
- Session date(s) coming soon
- If you would like a session for staff training, please contact Megan Cummings at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Great Things campaign: highlights the great work communities across the province are doing to promote and support healthy eating.
- Join Eat Great and Participate dietitian for a workshop on how to make healthy food and beverage options more available in your recreation, sport and community facilities, programs, and events. The workshop will provide healthy food and beverage menu ideas, give easy tips on how to add them to your current menu, and work with you to address barriers in doing so.
- Session date(s) coming soon
- If you would like a session for staff training, please contact email@example.com
- Session date(s) coming soon
- To add your name to a waitlist for the next session please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Active for Life is an older adult activity program that will help improve balance, strength, and flexibility all while having fun with others. This program focuses on physical activity aimed to maintaining or increasing mobility, strengthen muscles, improve balance and reduce the risk of falling among older adults. This program consists of warm-up, strengthening exercises, balance exercises, obstacle course
- ParticipACTION Partnership: In partnership with the Government of NL and supported by Recreation NL continues to collaborate/ promote physical activity. Click here to learn more about ParticipACTION
Recreation NL Annual General Meeting & Conference
- Click here to future date
- Town of Gander
- The conference consists of keynote speakers, informative workshops, social events, exhibitor’s trade shows, business meetings, and more.