10 Brother McSheffrey Lane, St. John’s, NL, A1B 5B2
Tel: (709) 722-1168 Fax: (709) 722-1885
Mandate: To provide access and equal opportunity for community members to participate in social, health, recreational, educational and employment programs and services; to provide opportunities for individual capacity building and collaborative, cooperative community development processes that will help provide and sustain a healthy, supportive and safe community.
Target Population: Residents of Newfoundland and Labrador Housing and families in private residence within walking distance of the centre.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Youth Programs:
- Healthy Baby Club: Resource mothers provide information on nutrition, mother care, baby care, and much more. Call 739-8096 for details.
- Playgroup: Children ages 0-5, drop-in play program where children enjoy playtime, crafts, snacks and gym time.
- After School Program:
- The grade 1-3s participate in an early literacy program. This program is an education focused initiative to get kids writing, reading and learning at an early age while also having fun.
- The grades 4-6s participate in a recreation based program. This program consists of canoeing, archery lessons, professional zumba lessons, swimming, karate lessons and much more.
- Registration is ongoing and it’s free!
- Math Tutoring: We have a dedicated group of volunteers from St. Bon’s School who come faithfully to tutor our children. Call the Centre on Monday to register for tutoring on Wednesday.
- Homework Haven: This program provides the opportunity for extra help with assignments, projects, etc or just a place to study and read.
- Youth Group: For youth in grades 7-12.
- Music Lessons: Piano, guitar, voice, etc. lessons offered to children ages 6+ and adults. For more info, contact Sonya at 722-1522.
- Adult Programs:
- Friendship Club: This group is for adult community members. It offers a chance to get together and play cards.
- Afternoon Tea: Seniors 50+ are invited for a light lunch and games of Bingo.
- Kettle is On: Free meal and a cup of tea. All community members are welcome.
- Music Lessons: Piano, guitar or voice lessons are offered to ages 6 to adult. For more info, contact Sonya at 722-1522.
- General services include:
- Building rental
- Gym space/fitness programs
- Public computer and internet access
- A Public Health Nurse and Nurse Practitioner
- Clothing Room
- Food Hampers