P.O. Box 192, Station C, St. John’s NL AlC 5J9
Mandate: Girls Rock NL is an inclusive musical community, mentorship program, and non-profit organization that builds self-esteem amongst self-identified girls and gender non-conforming youth in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Target Population: Self-identified girls, and gender non-conforming youth ages 8-16.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Through its activities and a week long summer camp, Girls Rock NL connects self-identified girls and gender non-conforming youth to professional womxn in the arts, offers workshops for their success, and provides the opportunity to learn an instrument, write a song, and rock out on stage.
- Girls Rock NL fosters confidence, leadership, creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration through music and performance empowering self-identified girls, gender non-conforming youth, and womxn, while encouraging a more diverse and inclusive city.
- At Girls Rock NL’s summer camp, youth aged 8-16 form bands, write songs, and perform at a final showcase. Bands are coached by some of Newfoundland and Labrador’s most exciting womxn musicians who teach campers how to play an instrument and be in a band.
- No musical experience is necessary!
- Complementing the music component, Girls Rock NL offers fun opportunities for campers to speak with and listen to local musicians, take part in leadership workshops, and make new friends in a safe and encouraging environment.