Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador
Address: 206 Mount Scio Rd, St. John’s, NL, A1B 4L5
|Toll Free: 1-888-601-6767 |
Fax: (709) 754-1398
|Tel: (709) 754-1399 |
Our vision is for a community where all people with disabilities live full, healthy, and active lives. Our mission is to engage, inspire, and maximize opportunities for people with disabilities of all ages by providing meaningful programs and services.
People with disabilities and their families
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Recreation Programs: Easter Seals Newfoundland and Labrador offer over 20 programs and services that help people with disabilities, ranging from camps, and recreational activities such as wheelchair basketball, sledge hockey, swimming, and boccia to creative expression through music, dance, art, and family events. These programs successfully assist those with disabilities in achieving new heights year after year. This includes everything from increased physical ability and self-esteem, to increasing their self-expression and independence.
- Easter Seals NL Camps is a place where everyone is welcome, it is a safe and secure place for participants and families to connect and have fun. Camp provides an opportunity for everyone to enjoy the camp experience. Camp promotes independence for campers and allows them to have new experiences and expand their horizons.
- Equipment Loan Programs
- Easter Seals NL offers equipment loan programs to families and participants looking to utilize equipment to participate in outdoor recreational activities. Equipment such as Trailriders, Hippocamp, Ice Sledges, and Snowcoach along with others are available for a short-term loan for any of our Easter Seals families, participants, community groups, or schools to loan.
- If you have a piece of used adaptive equipment that you are no longer in need of, consider donating it to “Linda’s Equipment Crossing”. Any equipment donated is eligible for a tax receipt if submitted with an official appraisal from AIM Services or Eastern Medical for its depreciated value.
- Career and Educational Services: As a provincial community coordinator for the Opportunities Fund for People with Disabilities Program, we bring employees and employers together by providing a wage subsidy for employers to hire people with disabilities.
- Horizons is Easter Seals NL’s work experience program for youth who face barriers to employment. Participants take part in four weeks of skills training and certifications, then one day a week of classes and workshops for the remainder of the 9-month program. They receive a stipend at the minimum wage rate for their time in skills training and classes.
- “I Can Too!” is a disability awareness program that allows children, from kindergarten to grade six, to learn about disability in a fun, interactive way! Through the use of a video, books, and a collection of dolls with adaptive equipment, children learn that disability does not equal inability and that people with a disability are the same as everyone else, they may just do things a little differently.
- Easter Seals NL Park An Accessible & Inclusive Space. Once fully constructed our park will be the biggest accessible park East of Toronto. Phase I of our Easter Seals NL Park includes an accessible playground. Phase II includes the construction of a pavilion with a fire pit, a BBQ event plaza with a seating area, and sensory gardens all in accordance with the Canadian Standard Association’s Accessible Design for the Built Environment. Phase III will include an outdoor arena and an outbuilding. There are countless public green spaces and walking trails throughout St. John’s where many residents can enjoy the outdoors at no cost on their own time. Easter Seals NL simply wishes to extend this concept to be able to reach the disabled community, by creating a park that is truly for everyone.