City of St. John’s – Recreation
Address: Crosbie Building, 1 Crosbie Place, St. John’s, NL A1C 5M2
|Reception: (709) 576-8020 |
Tel: (709) 576-8499/8631
Fax: (709) 576-8469
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org |
The Recreation Division provides programs and services in an attempt to improve the quality of life of the citizens of St. John’s. The City of St. John’s offers its citizens a diverse selection of recreation programs. The City takes pride in its efforts to encourage community development, social activities and active living opportunities for all its citizens.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- The Recreation Division works year to year in partnership with various neighborhood organizations in the delivery of summer recreation programs and activities. Children aged 5-12 are given the opportunity to participate in these programs during the summer months. The programs generally operate 6 to 8 weeks and offer a wide range of activities such as arts and crafts, outdoor activities, sports, music, drama, swimming and special events.
- Some of the programs offered for youth aged 12-18 include: Swimming, Outdoor Skills, Youth Leadership program, Girls Active Lifestyles (GALS), Youth Week, Youth Talent Show, Ball Hockey, Youth Expeditions, Junior Lifeguard program, etc.
Please email email@example.com for information.
- Paul Reynolds Community Centre: (709) 576-8631
- Located 35 Carrick Drive. Includes a gymnasium, 25-metre lane swimming pool, therapeutic warm water leisure pool, two waterslides, hydraulic lift and water wheelchairs, pool viewing area, fully accessible family change rooms, adult size change table, universal change rooms, children’s area, and senior’s area.
- G.R. Mews Community Centre: (709) 576-8499
- Located 40 Mundy Pond Road. Includes racquetball courts, gymnasium, multi-purpose room for meetings and small gatherings, 25-metre swimming pool with diving board, pool viewing area, co-ed steam room/dry sauna, wheelchair accessible, pool lift, chairs and ample parking.
- Shea Heights Community Centre: (709) 576-1023
- Located 130 Linegar Avenue is available for rentals to host birthday parties, baby and wedding showers, and meetings. Amenities include: multipurpose room, kitchen and wheelchair accessibility.
- The Kilbride Lions Community Centre: (709) 368-0250
- Located off Fahey Street. Available to host birthday parties, baby and wedding showers and meetings. Amenities include: multi-purpose room, kitchen and wheelchair accessibility.
- Southlands Community Centre: (709) 364-5252, 364-5128, 364-5129
- Located 40 Teakwood Drive. Is available for rentals to host birthday parties, baby and wedding showers and meetings. Amenities include two multi-purpose rooms, board room, a kitchen and wheelchair accessibility.
- Rotary Sunshine Park Chalet (709) 576-8407
- Located off Thorburn Road. Can sleep 24 people. It includes full kitchen with dishwasher, propane fireplace, outdoor barbecue, and large patio deck. The chalet is located with outdoor fields and an unsupervised swimming/beach area. Please click Rotary ‘Sunshine’ Park Chalet to view more photos or to complete an application. Click here to complete an application.
- Kenmount Terrace Community Centre:
- Located at 85 Messenger Drive. Is available for rentals, birthday parties etc. Amenities include a full-sized gymnasium, multipurpose room a kitchen and wheelchair accessibility.
Outdoor Entertainment Facilities
- Cabot 500 Theatre
- This outdoor facility, located in Bowring Park, can host many events from theatrical productions to musical performances and can accommodate up to 750 people.
- Prince Edward Plaza
- Outdoor stage facility located on George Street. Can host many events from musical performances to promotional events.
- Northwest Rotary Skate Park
- The Skate Park is located in Mundy Pond Park (off Blackler Ave) and offers bowl and street skating/riding obstacles.
- The City currently has six outdoor modular (portable) skate parks:
- Bowring Park (next to swimming pool)
- Kilbride Lions Community Centre (parking lot)
- Goulds (behind the Fire Dept. on the Main Road, next to the basketball court)
- Shea Heights Community Centre (behind Community Centre off Linegar Ave)
- Southlands (Teakwood Park)
- Quidi Vidi Lake (North side of Lake off The Boulevard)
- For schedules and admission requirements for each City of St. John’s swimming pool, please click
- There are 7 baseball, one t-ball, 17 softball fields and 18 soccer facilities in the
- There are also 18 tennis courts, 15 basketball courts and one lawn bowling green in the City.
- Contact Recreation@stjohns.ca
- An outdoor ice-skating trail
- Families with children, young adults, seniors, community and service groups, and others all skate together for free.
- Call the Loopline at 733-LOOP (5667) to learn if it is open.