The C.L.B (Church Lads’ Brigade)
Address: 82 Harvey Road, P.O. Box 28126, St. John’s, NL A1B 4J8
|Tel: (709) 722-1737|
Fax: (709) 722-1734
|Twitter: @TheCLB_NL |
Through educational, recreational and social activities, the Brigade aims to help youth develop the necessary skills to become future leaders.
Membership in the CLB is open to all youth. The CLB is divided into five age groups:
- Little Training Corps (LTC): Grades K-1
- Young Training Corps (YTC): Grades 2-4
- Junior Training Corps (JTC): Grades 5-7
- Senior Corps (SC): Grades 8-12
- Officers: Age 19+
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
Visit their website here to learn more about their programs. The CLB offers more than 500 courses in its badge work program. Courses are geared to the age group and interests of the youth and the award of a badge or certificate recognized each.
- First aid
- Drum and Bugle Band
- Glockenspiel Band
- Hobbies and Crafts
- Fire Fighting
- Map and Compass
- As youth members advance into their teen years, they are encouraged to take on additional responsibilities and participate in program delivery to younger members.
- Teaching basic drill movements
- Supervising sports programs
- Instructional techniques
- Public Speaking
The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award:
This international program has recently been added to the CLB program. It is designed to stimulate the energies of young people from ages 14 to 25.
- Self-reliance and self-discipline
- Perseverance and determination
- Initiative and creativity
- Community involvement and social development
- The spirit of adventure
- Value orientation and value-oriented decision making
- Fitness of body and mind
- Vocational, cultural and family life skills
- International understanding and awareness
All sports activities emphasize participation. Each Battalion has inter-company tournaments officiated by the junior leaders and supervised by officers. Each year, the Colonels Award is presented to one individual in each unit to recognize good sportsmanship.
- Floor hockey
- Track & field
- Indoor soccer
- LTC fun days
The CLB holds summer camps each year. It has been shown that members who go to camps stay on longer in the Brigade and advance through the ranks. Activities at camps are geared to the age of the participants.
- Target shooting with air rifles
- Orienteering & Wilderness Survival
“Put the Child First” Program:
The CLB is extremely proud of its involvement in piloting this abuse awareness program. Developed with the assistance of the former Chief of Police and the St. John Ambulance Association, the CLB continues to follow this program. The program has separate training for youth members and adults leaders.
- Recognition of inappropriate behaviour
- Abuse avoidance
- Action to be taken when abuse is suspected
- Bullying intervention
- Other Activities include: hiking, crafts, survival training, Drill and Archery, Scavenger Hunts, Weekend Outings, Physical Training, Pyramids and Vaulting, Gymnastics
The C.L.B Regimental Band:
- Started as a tin whistle band, the Regimental Band as evolved to become the flagship of the CLB. The Band performs at the Royal St. John’s Regatta, the Janeway Children’s Hospital Christmas Party, the Armistice Day Parade to the War Memorial, the Lieutenant Governor’s Garden Party at the Government House Grounds and numerous other civic events in the Province.
- To view the C.L.B. Regimental Band, click here.