Community Centre Alliance
Office Location: 10 Brother McSheffrey Lane, St. John’s, NL, A1B 5B2
Mailing Address: 26 Graves Street, St. John’s, NL, A1B 3C5
|Tel: (709) 753-5670 |
Fax: (709) 753-8570
|Email: firstname.lastname@example.org |
To provide programs and services to support employment and career development, learning and literacy, and wellness (including food security) in the following five community centre neighborhoods in St. John’s: Buckmaster’s Circle Community Centre, Froude Avenue Community Centre, MacMorran Community Centre, Rabbittown Community Centre and Virginia Park Community Centre.
Persons of all ages who reside in the community centre neighbourhoods.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Supporting Employment and Education Opportunities: There is a Community Employment Facilitator (CEF) located at each Community Centre who can provide employment support to neighbourhood residents and the surrounding areas. This includes help with resumes and cover letters; job search and job interview preparation; filling out various applications (EI, JCP’s, scholarships, wage subsidy programs, etc.); as well as delivering career and employment and skills development workshops.
- Fry Family Foundation Scholarships: Since 2006, CCA and its community centre partners have partnered with the Fry Family Foundation. This partnership supports individuals to reach their educational goals through The Fry Family Foundation Scholarship Program. An important element of the scholarship program is its emphasis beyond just academic performance; it focuses as well on the individual’s community involvement as a leader, mentor or volunteer.
- Youth Achieve!: This program provides one-on-one literacy tutoring for school-aged youth in our neighbourhoods. This program takes place at each of our five community centres.
- Homework Haven: This program provides community centre based afterschool support for school homework and projects.
- Value of Work, Value of Money: This is an 8-week program designed to provide school age at-risk youth with summer employment, volunteer experience and training sessions related to their educational goals and financial well-being
- In Motion and Momentum Plus (IM&M+): Developed by the Canadian Career Development Foundation (CCDF) in partnership with the Government of New Brunswick in 2013 and offered by CCA since 2020, IM&M+ is a program that supports clients who are not ready to participate in traditional pre-employment programs. The program builds on participants’ life experience, strengths, skills, and wisdom