PO Box 7392, Station C, St. John’s, NL, A1E 3Y5
Contact: John Kennedy
Tel: (709) 729-4412 Fax: (709) 729-4420
Mandate: To enable youth to make amends for their first-time offense; to educate youth about the consequences of breaking the law; and to prevent youth crime through community awareness education
Target Population: Youth offenders 12-18 who have been accused of and admitted responsibility for their first-time offense
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- The program acts as an alternative to the court systemsuch that the young person can take responsibility for and make amends for their first-time offense without receiving a criminal record.
- The program requires the young person to attend a mediation session if the victim requests such a session.
- Thevictim, a volunteer mediator and the young person then negotiate a Youth Diversion Contract which may outline some of the following conditions: verbal or written apology to the victim; community service; personal service to the victim; education sessions based on the nature of the offense; completion of essay relating to offense; charitable donation; completion of learning resource material; financial compensation for the victim; other terms deemed suitable.
- If there is no direct victim, a delegate is assigned to outline the conditions of the contract.
- The Diversion Social Worker works with the young person to ensure that the contract is completed.