Family Division – Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador
Address: 68 Portugal Cove Road, St. John’s, NL, A1B 2L9
|Tel: (709) 729-2258 |
|Fax: (709) 729-0784|
Registry Hours*: 9:30 am – 1:00 pm / 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm
* To limit the number of persons in the courthouse at any given time, the Court currently requires that you book an appointment before coming to the Registry. Appointments may be booked online here.
There are two levels of Family Court in Newfoundland and Labrador: Provincial and Supreme. The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador has two divisions – Family and General. The Provincial Court and the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador hear family matters dealing with custody, access, child support and spousal/partner support. However, only the Supreme Court has the authority to deal with divorce and the division of matrimonial/common law property.
All members of society.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador Family Division has exclusive jurisdiction over all family matters arising on the Avalon Peninsula including the St. John’s metropolitan area. This means any family law applications arising in these areas must be filed with the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador Family Division.
- Information for Litigants: Intended to assist litigants who already have or who would like to bring a matter before the Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador (Family Division).
- For Family Case Tip Sheets, click here.
- For the daily Court Docket, click here.
- The Provincial Court in these areas does not accept family court applications. The Family Division provides services & information on topics such as:
- Separation and divorce
- Children’s Matters
- Money Matters
- Support enforcement
- Family Violence
- Going to Court
- Court Orders
- Interjurisdictional Support Orders