319 Duckworth Street, PO Box 5429, St. John’s, NL A1C 5W2
Tel: (709) 729-4646 Fax: (709)729-2157
Helpline for Online Registry: (709) 729-1880 or 1-800-699-7199
Mandate: To provide such services as the law requires of the Sheriff’s Office, for the good of and on behalf of all the people of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Sheriff’s Office commits to their motto of “Service Above All” and uses it to provide an anchor for their actions.
Target Population: Anyone involved in the justice system: members of the government, legal aid, law firms, and the general public
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- The Office maintains the province’s Judgment Enforcement Registryand administers the civil enforcement process in the province. This includes the attachment and seizure of real and personal property.
- The Office is also responsible for the service of court documents, the service of civil and criminal processand the administration of the Jury System by maintaining the province’s jury list and summoning prospective jurors.
- The Office handles the security of the Courts and the escorting of accused and convicted persons.
- It also enforces the decisionsof the province’s Residential Tenancies Board
- When requested, the Office collects monies on behalf of the province’s Support Enforcement Agency and the Fines Administration Office.