Sexual Harassment Office – Memorial University
ER 6039, Earth Sciences Bldg., Memorial University of NL, St. John’s, NL A1C 5S7
Tel: (709) 864-8199 (Students may call collect if necessary) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sexual Harassment Advisor: (709) 864-2015 Website: mun.ca/sexualharassment/
Mandate: To ensure the health, safety and security of every member of the university community and all campus visitors. The Office works to prevent sexual harassment and sexual assault through education, mitigate the effects of sexual harassment and sexual assault, and identify methods for timely resolutions of complaints of sexual harassment and sexual assault which may or may not arise at Memorial University.
Target population: All members of the university community on all campuses and institutes of Memorial.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Consultations: Private one on one session with the Sexual Harassment Advisor. The Advisor can answer your questions and provide advice, guidance and support to ensure you make informed decisions. All consultations are strictly confidential and can occur through an office visit or telephone call.
- Educational Sessions:
- Information on the policy and procedures;
- Healthy relationships;
- Faculty, student and staff orientations;
- Consent education; and
- Bystander intervention.
- Facilitation of timely response and resolution of concerns and complaints.
- Coordination of Timely Resolutions:
- A complainant may file a complaint within twelve calendar months of an incident.
- Events prior to the twelve month period can be referenced if the incident(s) is relevant and part of a series of incidents that form a pattern of harassment.
- Once a complaint is received, the Advisor shall contact the respondent within three days to advise of the complaint and provide information on the resolution process.
- Offers both formal and informal resolution options to choose from. You can go to the office for support or to simply ask questions without having to file a complaint.
- Referrals to other resources, both on campus and in the community, can be coordinated through the office. You can also find resources customized per campus and institute in our Sexual Assault Support and Response Guides.
- The Sexual Harassment Advisor can: