Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program Eastern Health
Address: St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital: 154 LeMarchant Rd., St. John’s, NL A1C 5B8
SANE Coordinator Office: (709) 777-5865
St. Clare’s Emergency Room (24hr) SANE on call: (709) 777-5502
Mandate: To provide healthcare services to individuals who have been sexually assaulted.
Target Population: ALL genders who are 16 or older.
Highlight of Program/Services Offered:
A Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) is a registered nurse who has advanced training and education in medical and forensic assessment of a person who has been sexual assaulted. They are committed to providing compassionate, sensitive, patient centered, quality care to their patients. They also assist the patient in making informed decisions about their care and how to move forward after being sexually assaulted.
Services provided by the SANE Program include:
- Emergency response, 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Service to all genders 16 years and older
- The option for patients to have a support person present before and during the exam
- A medical examination to treat any injuries from the sexual assault is provided if the patient chooses. Prophylaxis medication is offered for prevention of sexually transmitted diseases and pregnancy if required and HIV/Hepatitis B concerns are also addressed.
- A forensic examination can also be completed if the patient chooses. This includes documentation of injuries and the collection of evidence. Documentation will be held indefinitely.
- Choices about whether or not to involve police
- Option for storage of evidence while deciding how to move forward
- Referrals and information about community resources that can be accessed for ongoing support
- Testimony in court