St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital: 154 LeMarchant Rd., St. John’s, NL A1C 5B8
SANE Coordinator Office: (709) 777-5865
St. Clare’s Emergency Room (24hr) SANE on call: (709) 777-5501
Mandate: To provide healthcare services to individuals who have been sexually assaulted.
Target Population: ALL genders who are 16 or older.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- If you have been sexually assaulted and you visit the emergency department at St. Clare’s Mercy Hospital in St. John’s, a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner can be called to both support and examine you, 24/7.
- With your consent, the nurse examiner will: ask questions about the assault; collect evidence with your permission; do a physical and pelvic or genital examination to look for injuries and collect specimens; provide you with resources for counselling services and provide clothing if you need it.
- You have several choices and any choice you make will be respected and supported by the SANE nurse:
- You can be examined carefully, given medical treatment and medications to prevent pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections
- Have evidence collected to be frozen up to one year if you don’t want to report the sexual assault immediately
- Have evidence collected and given to the police immediately.
- There is NO CHARGE for this service. You can decide how you want to handle the assault. It is your decision, and the nurse examiner will not force you to do anything you do not want to do.
- You DO NOT have to report to the police to access SANE services and the police ARE NOT present during the exam.
- You can call the NL Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre for additional information, support and/or accompaniment to the hospital for the SANE examination.
- Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre: (709) 726-1411 or 1-800-726-2743 (toll-free)