Pre-Trial Services Program – Dept. of Justice and Public Safety, GovNL
Address: 30 Parade Street, PO Box 5085, St. John’s, NL A1C 5V3
|Main Office: (709) 729-5041 |
Fax: (709) 729-0745
After hours: (709) 689-6351/5303
|Program Coordinator: (709) 689-6352 |
The primary goal of the Pre-Trial Services Program is to reduce the amount of time a youth is detained in custody pending trial by providing verified information to the Youth Justice Court at each stage of the bail hearing; combined with community supervision and programming while under the jurisdiction of the interim release order.
All male and female youth who are held in custody and between the age of 12 years to 18 years appearing for a bail hearing or requesting a bail review.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
To apply, you need a referral from the crown prosecutor or from youth’s defense council. The program has three components:
- Verification: determines the eligibility of the youth from the program by verifying the information the youth is providing to the court through collateral contacts in his/her application for bail.
- Supervision: is provided following the release of a youth on bail with a court ordered supervision condition to P.T.S.P to ensure the youths compliance with the conditions of the release order; to ensure the youth follows the daily program that has been developed; to ensure the community safeguards are continuing to be met; and to monitor that the regime of supervision is acceptable.
- Review: should a youth be denied bail, to assist and facilitate a judicial circumstance change and/or mandatory review dates reached.
- The Pre-Trial Services Program will work in conjunction with:
- Crown/Defense Counsel
- Secure Custody
- Health & Community Services