NL Legal Aid Commission
Main Office: Suite 300, 251 Empire Avenue St. John’s, NL A1C 3H9
Tel: (709) 753-7860, ext. 301 for reception
Duty Counsel and Client Services
|Office Fax: (709) 753-7851 |
Tel: (709) 753-4614
|Fax: (709) 753-4631 |
To help people with serious legal problems who are in financial need and cannot afford private counsel. Legal aid is funded by the Federal and Provincial governments and by the Law Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Individuals who meet the financial requirements and require assistance with a legal matter that is covered by legal aid.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Provides legal representation for the following types of legal matters: Criminal, Family, Youth, Immigration and Refugee matters, Child Protection Cases, and some Traffic Offences. For certain types of legal matters (Summary Conviction Offenses, Civil Claims, Child Support, Traffic Offences, and Immigration Matters) representation depends on the situation.
- The Legal Aid Commission takes a detailed look at the financial position of the individuals they represent to determine whether they can afford to cover a part of the cost.
- Legal Aid NL provides the services of lawyers (Duty Counsel) to individuals who do not have lawyers of their own. Duty Counsel will provide individuals with information and direction in the St. John’s Family Court and in the Criminal Division of all Provincial Courts.
- Family Court in St. John’s there is a Legal Assistant who can provide basic information about the court process, can help parties apply for a lawyer, and can help you fill out some of the court document.
- People with mental health challenges who have been charged with a criminal offence and who have to appear in the Provincial Court (Criminal Division) in St. John’s may be eligible to have their cases dealt with in the Mental Health Court.
- The Legal Aid NL has a Mental Health Office which can provide assistance to people who are having difficulties with the legal system including the Mental Health Court