The Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
Address: 189-198 Water Street, P.O. Box 1028, St. John’s, NL A1C 5M3
|Tel: (709) 722-4740 |
Fax: (709) 722-8902
|Law Society Library |
Tel: (709) 753-7770
Fax: (709) 753-0054
The Law Society is authorized by the Law Society Act, 1999 to regulate the practice of law and the legal profession in the public interest and is the sole regulatory body for all lawyers in the province.
The public and lawyers.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- The Law Society offers public services such as:
- A Law Library which provides members of the public with free access to legal resources.
- A comprehensive online directory with lawyer contact information.
- A program which receives and responds to allegations about lawyers.
- An Assurance Fund which helps clients who have lost money because of the misappropriation or conversion of funds or property by a lawyer.
- If a practicing lawyer becomes an inactive member (i.e. is suspended, disbarred, etc.) the Law Society may apply for a custodianship over the lawyer’s practice.
- Finding a Lawyer
- Filing a Compliant
- Public Legal Education
- Hearing Notification’s
- Electronic Brochures
Information to assist members of the public may be found in the lawyers’ fees section.