196-198 Water Street, P.O. Box 1028, St. John’s, NL A1C 5M3
Tel: (709) 7222-4740 Law Society Library
Fax: (709) 722-8902 Tel: (709) 753-7770
Email: email@example.com Fax: (709) 753-0054
Mandate: The Law Society is authorized by the Law Society Act, 1999 to regulate the practice of law and the legal profession in the public interest and is the sole regulatory body for all lawyers in the province.
Target population: The public and lawyers.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- The Law Society offers public services such as:
- A Law Library which provides members of the public with free access to legal resources.
- A comprehensive online directory with lawyer contact information.
- A program which receives and responds to allegations about lawyers.
- An Assurance Fund which helps clients who have lost money because of the misappropriation or conversion of funds or property by a lawyer.
- If a practicing lawyer becomes an inactive member (i.e. is suspended, disbarred, etc.) the Law Society may apply for a custodianship over the lawyer’s practice.
Information to assist members of the public may be found in the lawyers’ fees section.