Justice Program – CMHA-NL (Canadian Mental Health Association NL)
Address: 603 Topsail Road, St. John’s, NL A1E 2E1
|Tel: (709) 753-8550 Ext. 106 |
Toll-Free: 1-877-753-8550 Ext. 106
|Website: https://cmhanl.ca/web/what-we-do/justice-program/ |
To provide individualized support services to persons diagnosed with a mental illness, concurrent disorder or dual diagnosis within the correction system and following release into the community in order to promote recovery and a reduction in recidivism.
Individuals with mental health issues who are involved in the corrections system.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Provide in-reach to inmates at Her Majesty’s Penitentiary (HMP) for purposes of assessment and provision of support.
- To develop a community support plan with the inmate prior to release from HMP.
- To provide intensive case management service to 25 clients released from HMP and residing in the St. John’s region.
- During the individual’s incarceration, the Program Manager and Social Work Case Managers will provide in-reach mental health counseling and advocacy, as well as a needs assessment to ensure the appropriate services are in place for release.
- Upon release from HMP, the Justice Program will meet the individuals “at the gate” and provide intensive case management in the community.
- Case Management will assist with ensuring all the individuals’ basic needs are met and they are receiving services appropriate to their needs.
- Intensive case management is responsive to the individual’s multiple and changing needs, and plays a pivotal role in coordinating required services from across the mental health system and other service systems.
- The case managers of the Justice Program will work to build a trusting and productive relationship with the individual, and to provide the support and resources that they need to achieve their goals and improve their quality of life.