Forensic Services – Eastern Health
Address: Eastern Health, Building 80, Pleasantville PO Box 13122, St. John’s, NL A1B 4A4
To assist consumers of mental health and addictions services who are involved with the justice system.
Individuals 18+ who have mental health and addictions problems and have come in conflict with the law.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Hospital Unit, North 4B, at Waterford Hospital (709) 777-3535
- This Division is comprised of a 17 bed medium security unit with an interdisciplinary team which provides court ordered assessments, treatment for persons under the Prisons Act and detention and treatment of persons found unfit or not criminally responsible due to a mental disorder. The Division also offers an outpatient clinic to follow clients from the unit after discharge or after serving sentences.
- Mental Health Court (709) 777-3412
- Mental Health Court, Court Support Services is located in the community and is staffed by two Social Workers and two Psychiatric Licensed Practical Nurses. The program assists individuals 18 years and older, who have involvement with the justice system, to re-establish themselves in the community. Individuals are supported throughout the court process as well as after the charges have been dealt with.
- Provincial Forensic Coordinator (709) 777-3578
- Provincial Forensic Coordinator is a Social Worker who coordinates the care in hospital and in the community for all individuals found unfit to stand trial due to mental disorder and those found NCR-MD (not criminally responsible due to mental disorder).