St. John’s Office – 285 Duckworth St, St. John’s, NL
A full listing of locations throughout the province can be found here.
Tel: (709) 729-1183
Mandate: FJS offers services that assist families in resolving custody, access and/or child support issues outside of court. FJS focuses on the needs of children and promotes mediation and dispute resolution outside of the court. During the process parties talk to a neutral person to explore ways to reach an agreement.
Target Population: Families in Newfoundland and Labrador who are involved in family law matters involving custody, access and/or child support.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered: FJS offers free services which include:
- Parent information sessions
- Mediation/ Dispute Resolution in cases regarding custody, access, and/or child support
- Counselling services for families who are involved with FJS
- Recalculation of child s
There are two ways to access Family Justice Services: a Request for Service or a Court Application:
- A Request for Service: When both parties want to work out an agreement outside of the court process, they may access mediation services with FJ The Request for Service Form is available online as well as at all court locations and FJS office; or by clicking here.
- A Court Application: Parties may choose to make a court application for child support, custody or access. The Court will forward a copy of your application to FJ FJS will then contact both parties to determine if they are interested in mediation outside the court process. Parties can choose to go to court or remain at FJS to try mediation.
Note: FJS does not provide legal advice, process divorce applications, or assist with spousal support and the division of property.