Sir Brian Dunfield Building, PO Box 220, 2 Canada Drive, St. John’s NL, A1C 5J2
Tel: (709) 724-3000 Fax: (709) 724-3007 Website: www.nlhc.nl.ca
Contact: Jenny Bowring—Manager, Corporate Communications
Tel: (709) 724-3055 Fax: (709) 724-3250 Email: email@example.com
Mandate: To develop and administer housing assistance policy and programs for the benefit of low to moderate income households throughout the province.
Target Population: Low – moderate income households throughout the province.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
FOR RENTAL APPLICANTS
- Rental Housing Program: NLHC owns and administers approximately 5,591 social housing units throughout various regions of the province, with the greatest concentration of units located on the Avalon (3,200) and Corner Brook (804). These homes are rented to low-income earners, with rental rates based on 25 per cent of monthly income.
- Provincial Home Repair Program (PHRP): Low-income individuals and families are assisted under this program with modest assistance levels to improve privately owned households. This program primarily benefits seniors living in rural areas of the province.
- Home Modification Program (HMP): HMP is designed to provide funding to low-to-moderate income homeowners ($46,500 or less), seniors, and persons with disabilities who require accessibility changes to their residences, which can help promote independence and self-reliance, assist with a better quality of life, and enable individuals to remain in their own homes for a longer period.
- Home Energy Savings Program (HESP): HESP is a provincial initiative designed to assist low-income households with electrically heated homes which consume 15,000+ kWh of electricity annually. The program will provide non-repayable grants of up to $5,000 to help these households make energy efficiency upgrades to their homes.
FOR CONTRACTORS, DEVELOPERS, AND NON-PROFIT GROUPS
- Provincial Homelessness Fund (PHF): PHF provides funding to assist registered non-profit organizations for the development of support services space for the provision of on-site and outreach services. These services promote housing stability and greater self-reliance for those at risk of homelessness. The space can be developed either through new modest construction or renovation of an existing building.
- Partner-Managed Housing Program: This program is directed in support of social housing initiatives largely in partnership with partner-managed non-profit housing Most of the social housing units under this program are operated directly by individual groups with NLHC holding the mortgage on these properties and providing some level of operating assistance.
- Supportive Living Program (SLP): The Supportive Living Program, an initiative funded through the Poverty Reduction Strategy, provides operating grants to incorporated non-profit organizations to prevent and end homelessness.