School Lunch Association
Address: 425 Topsail Road, St. John’s, NL A1E 5N7
To operate a non-stigmatizing program that provides a hot nutritious lunch to school children regardless of their family’s financial situation.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- The School Lunch Association serves hot, nutritious lunches to the children of Newfoundland and Labrador every school day.
- The School Lunch Association serves approximately 6,500 lunches per day, in 41 different schools. Meals are cooked onsite in each of their 36 locations. They also employ 75 people.
- To appeal to the children’s different tastes the employees prepare well-balanced nutritious meals for a diverse monthly menu.
- By sending home a monthly menu and envelope, parents are involved in what their child eats each day at school. To remove any stigma that might be associated with being provided a lunch, all children in the school are given a menu and envelope to be delivered to their parent(s) or guardian(s). The actual amount contributed by each family remains confidential.
- Parents are also able to place their orders online at schoollunch.ca.
- They encourage all parents to visit their website for further information.