Tel: (709) 685-8657
Facebook: SSVP Canada
Mandate: The St. Vincent de Paul Society is a lay Catholic society whose mission is to live the Gospel message by serving Christ in the poor with love, respect, justice, and joy.
Target Population: Individuals in the geographical area of the various conferences.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Their volunteers seek people in need, wherever they live—in their homes, on the street, in shelters, in hospital or in prison.
- Volunteers work in their own area, and respond to local needs. This means that the Society’s work around the world is extremely varied: health; agriculture; education; housing; employment support; help for elderly, disabled, isolated or excluded people, and more.
- Provide emergency food services to people in need.
- It also provides emergency assistance and rehabilitation for victims of natural or humanitarian disasters, and finances development projects.
- There are four conferences in the city of St. John’s:
- Peter’s Food Bank: 747-3320
- Mary Queen of the World Food Bank: 364-7140
- Corpus Christi Food Bank:364-4116
- Theresa’s Food Bank:579-5467
- As well as providing groceries on an emergency basis to people in the surrounding areas, some conferences also offer assistance in other ways on an as-needed basis.
- Please call the closest conference to you for further information.
- Seeds of Hope: The Canada Learning Bond (CLB) provides up to $2,000 in free money for post-secondary education for children born after January 2004 whose families receive the National Child Benefit Supplement. No parental contributions are needed.
- Emergency Relief: The Committee is responsible for ensuring a response and follow-up to International Council General (ICG) and National Councils financial assistance requests as a result of natural disasters and humanitarian catastrophes.