NL Alliance for the Control of Tobacco (ACT NL)
Address: 29 Rowan Street, St. John’s, NL A1B 2X2
|Tel: (709) 753-0079 |
|Fax: (709) 753-0109|
ACT is a partnership of both government and non-government organizations, dedicated to reducing the negative health, economic, and environmental effects of tobacco use in NL.
All segments of population with particular attention to youth.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Together with its partners, ACT is responsible for developing, implementing and monitoring the Provincial Tobacco Reduction Strategy which sets out a coordinated plan for tobacco control activities in the Province.
- Mass media campaigns including T.V., radio and print commercials which educate youth on the tobacco industry.
- Mass media campaigns which educate the entire population on the dangers of 2nd hand smoke exposure in the home and in the work place.
- The ACT Grant Program is a year-round program designed to assist community partners around the province as they implement projects to show that every action counts when it comes to tobacco control in NL.
- Helping Women Live Smoke-Free initiative: works with Family Resource Centers (Healthy Baby Clubs) to address tobacco use during pregnancy and post-partum. The initiative focuses on screening for tobacco use, and initiating a conversation with women about smoking. It provides:
- information about health effects
- identifies challenges women may face
- explores different ways to quit
- shares community supports and explores ways to support women to reduce or quit smoking and reduce exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Click here to view program materials
- For further information on this program please contact Melissa at the ACT office by calling 1-709-753-0079 or emailing email@example.com.
Schools and other Resources
- ACT has created presentations for schools and community groups. The following sample presentations which are geared towards the needs of individuals and community groups:
- Newfoundland and Labrador Tobacco and Vaping Reduction Strategy
- Current Legislation on tobacco issues in the province
- Smokers HelpLine please call 1-800-363-5864 or visit the Smokers Helpline website
- Drifting Smoke in Multi-Unit Dwellings: if you are being exposed to secondhand smoke in your apartment or condominium please visit Smoke Free Housing to see updates and initiatives working on having smoke free environment
- Vaping Resources: ACT has partnered with NL English School Board District to raise awareness about the dangers of vaping and e-cigarettes among junior and senior high school students