To maximize the effective and efficient utilization of our services by our clients, as well as, to promote a seamless transition in the provision of these services between institutional and community programs.
Consumers of Mental Health & Addictions services.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
The Clinical Efficiency Division carefully monitors all admissions and discharges to inpatient units, promoting effective and early discharge planning and implementing strategies that will improve patient flow. Other clinical efficiency initiatives include the timely provision of clinical information and data, establishing clinical efficiency benchmarks, monitoring wait times and supporting alternative service models which positively impact on the mental health of the client.
- Mental Health Discharge Liaison Nurse (709) 777-8426/3009/3565
- The Mental Health and Addictions Program currently employs four full time Discharge Liaison Nurses, one at the Health Science Site and three at the Waterford site.
- These positions address the gap between discharge from hospital and access to follow up services in the community.
- In this role, the Discharge Liaison Nurse meets with the referred client in hospital during the discharge process and, subsequently, provides a full range of clinical service while linking the client to his/her community.
- This specialized nursing follow up is most often provided in the community within the context of home visiting but may also include office visits.
- Mental Health Community Liaison (709) 777-3910
- The purpose of this role is to develop collaborative relationships with community agencies and serve as a consultant in the development of comprehensive service plans for people with complex mental health needs.
- This position provides consultation/liaison, advocacy and education regarding mental health to assist in supporting people in the community. It also serves as a vital link for accessing mental health services.
- Consultation/Liaison Service (709) 777-5379 (St. Clare’s) / (709) 777-6104 (Health Sciences)
- The Psychiatry Consultation Liaison Service at St. Clare’s and General Hospital sites provides support to patients experiencing mental health and addiction issues along with medical, surgical, or women’s health issues.
- Each site has a dedicated Psychiatrist for medical consults.
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses are also a part of each team and are responsible for nursing consults, as well as assisting with triage and follow up of medical consults.
- Psychiatric Residents, medical students and nursing students complete rotations within the service.
- Liaison with other teams within each hospital has created opportunities for input into policies, protocols, and provision of clinics for special populations.
- Reducing stigma of mental illness and educating staff is an important objective of the service.
- Mental health needs can now be addressed during admission, providing a more holistic and timely treatment. Follow up referrals in the community are provided as required