35 Major’s Path, Suite 101, St. John’s, NL A1A 4Z9
Tel: (709) 777-2041 Fax: (709) 777-2042
Mandate: To help individuals change eating disorder symptoms, challenge thoughts and behaviors, and develop new means of coping with everyday stressors.
Target Population: Clients 15 years of age and older who meet the criteria as described in the DSM-V (The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or other specified feeding and eating disorders excluding binge eating, night eating related disorders, or avoidant/restrictive food intake disorder.
- The client must be aware of his/her referral to the program and agree to participate in therapy.
- The client must be medically stable as per Eastern Health’s guidelines.
- We do not accept referrals for eating difficulties (e.g. fear of swallowing, weight loss management).
- Individual services can be provided for those following a vegan diet.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- The HOPE Eating Disorders Program is an intensive outpatient treatment program. The program incorporates an interdisciplinary approach to offer group therapy, individual therapy, meal support and family support.
o The treatment goals are individualized according to the needs of the client and may include improving relationships with food, restoring weight, interrupting the binge/ purge cycle, improving sense of self-worth, and supporting families
- The program strives to provide a trusting, supportive and consistent environment for individuals and their families on their journey to wellness.
- A physician referral and follow-up is required during participation in the HOPE program.
o For clients 18+, the referring physician will complete the Adult Eating Disorder Initial Intake Screen.
o Clients under 18 will be assessed by the Adolescent Medicine Team and referred to the HOPE program, if appropriate.