HOPE (Eating Disorders Program) Eastern Health
|Address: Renata Elizabeth Withers Centre for HOPE, 35 Major’s Path, Suite 101, St. John’s, NL A1A 4Z9 |
Tel: (709) 777-2041
To help individuals change eating disorder symptoms, challenge thoughts and behaviors, and develop new means of coping with everyday stressors.
The HOPE Program is for you and your family if you are 18 years of age or older and have been diagnosed with anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa or other specified feeding and eating disorder. The program is voluntary and clients must be medically stable.
- The client must be aware of his/her referral to the program and agree to participate in therapy.
- The client must be medically stable as per Eastern Health’s guidelines.
- We do not accept referrals for eating difficulties (e.g. fear of swallowing, weight loss management).
- Individual services can be provided for those following a vegan diet.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
The HOPE Program is an intensive program available to clients across the province.
The HOPE program is an outpatient program, meaning that individuals receive treatment without being admitted to hospital. We
- provide group-based and individual therapy as needed,
- help individuals explore alternative coping strategies,
- help individuals improve their relationship with food,
- help individuals improve their sense of self-worth and body esteem, and
- facilitate effective communication between you and your loved ones.
How to access this service
A referral to the program can be made by a physician or nurse practitioner using the adult eating disorders referral form (PDF). Medical follow-up is required during participation in the HOPE program. All referrals for clients under the age of 18 will be sent to the Adolescent Medicine team, this will determine if you will require more intensive services at HOPE.
Once a referral is received, you will be invited to attend an orientation session and complete an intake assessment to determine your treatment pathway.