Child and Adolescent Central Intake Number- (709) 777-2200
Child and Adolescent Central Intake Email: MHAintake@easternhealth.ca
Child and Adolescent Central Intake Fax: (709) 777-2211
Address: 5th Floor, Southcott Hall, Dr. L.A. Miller Centre, 100 Forest Road, St. John’s NL A1E 1E5
Mandate: To offer a coordinated and comprehensive service for children, adolescents and families facing emotional, social and behavioural challenges.
Target Population: Children and adolescents 18 and under who are experiencing mental health issues and their families. Parents can be referred for parenting groups and support and information sessions pertaining to children in their care.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Child and Adolescent Central Intake-
- Central Intake welcomes inquiries and can consult on issues and services for children and adolescents. This service may be contacted by telephone (709 777-2200) or by faxing a mental health referral form (709 777-2211).
- Central Intake uses a standardized clinical tool for assessing and prioritizing referrals to ensure that clients are placed with the most appropriate service. Our team also provides:
- Consultation and education to professionals and the community on various mental health issues
- Telephone support to families who are waiting for services
- Information and support group sessions on specialized topics for families waiting for services
- Central Intake is designed to improve accessibility, standardize the process of referrals, monitor waitlists, and improve efficiency among FIVE Community Mental Health and Addictions Services located within the St. John’s region. These services include:
- Janeway Family Centre (709) 777-2011
- The Janeway Family Centre is located on the 8th Floor of Southcott Hall. This is an outpatient service comprised of social workers and psychologists. The centre provides a combination of individual, family and group interventions for children and youth. Adolescent House is located at 204 LeMarchant Road and is a part of the Janeway Family Centre, which provides individual, family and group interventions for the adolescent population 13-17 years of age.
- (709) 777-4484
- Provides psychiatric assessment and treatment of children/adolescents and their families/caregivers. The program consists of Child/Adolescent psychiatrists, social workers, psychologists, a nurse, an art therapist, and an Occupational therapist. They are also a teaching hospital; so, there are students from all disciplines. The program operates from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, on the 4th floor of the Janeway Hospital.
- (709) 777-7715
- The BRIDGES Program has the mandate to provide brief and rapid intervention to youth (ages 13-17 years) with an acute mental illness or mental health crisis. BRIDGES has an interdisciplinary clinical team comprised of, social work, and occupational therapy.
- It is important to note that while ‘CONNECT’ and ‘Tuckamore Treatment Centre’ are programs that run out of the Child and Adolescent Outpatient Services division of Eastern Health’s Mental Health and Addictions Program, they have their own profiles on Thrives Directory because they have their own contact information you can reach them at, aside from calling the child and adolescent central intake number.
- Community mental health and addictions teams throughout the region
- CONNECT Team
- Tuckamore Centre
- Youth Outreach Program
- Self-referrals can be made for the:
- Rowan Centre Adolescent Addiction Service
- Bridges Program
- Janeway Family Centre
- Community mental health counselors
- Referrals are made using the Mental Health and Addictions referral form
- NOTE: A physician’s referral is required to access outpatient psychiatry