PO Box 8700, 1st Floor, West Block, Confederation Bldg., St. John’s, NL A1B 4J6
Mental Health Crisis Line (24 hour)
Local: (709) 737-4668 Toll-Free: 1-888-737-4668
Gambling Helpline (24 hour)
Toll-Free: 1-888-899-4357 (HELP)
Adult Central Intake: (709) 752-8888
Addiction Services: (709) 777-5074
Mandate: To provide provincial leadership in the planning and development of mental health and addictions programs.
Target population: People affected by their own substance abuse or gambling behaviour (alcohol, drugs and gambling) and people who have been affected by someone else’s behavior.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
The approach to treatment includes a variety of programs that focus on all needs, including physical, psychological, social and spiritual. There are detoxification services, residential and community-based services, and support for families affected by addiction. A range of community-based treatment and intervention services are offered:
- Outpatient Counselling: There are 26 outpatient offices that offer counselling services across the province. Counselling may be provided in individual, family, or group sessions. An initial assessment will be completed to develop an individual treatment plan.
- Early Intervention and Outreach for Youth: This program allows the Regional Health Authorities to provide effective outreach to youth who are at risk of developing addictions in the province.
- Adult Residential Treatment Services:
- The Humberwood Treatment Centre is located in Corner Brook and operated by Western Health. The Centre provides three week inpatient treatment program for men and women age 19 years and older who are experiencing a substance use and/or gambling problem. Individuals must be referred to the program by an addictions counselor or other community professional who will complete an assessment which explores the extent of the addiction and treatment goals. Clients participate in individual and group counselling, relaxation and leisure therapy, and education sessions. An extensive follow-up program is also provided through the outpatient offices at the completion of inpatient treatment.
- The Grace Centre is located in Harbour Grace, NL. This Centre complements the existing adult addictions treatment centre, Humberwood. These two centres are part of a continuum of care for adults impacted by addictions. Click here to view referral forms for the Grace Centre.
- Adolescent Day Treatment: The Rowan Centre is a day treatment program for adolescents between the ages of 12 and 18 whose involvement with substance use and/or gambling is having a negative impact on their lives. The centre is located in St. John’s and is administered by Eastern Health. This program will accept referrals from across the province. The current capacity of the program is for ten full time youth and the average program length is twelve – sixteen weeks. Youth will move into less intensive follow up services upon completion of the day treatment program.
- Detoxification Services: The Recovery Centre is a provincial, non-medical detoxification service which is operated by Eastern Health. Located in St. John’s, The Recovery Centre is open to men and women over the age of 16 who are intoxicated or who are experiencing symptoms of alcohol and other drug withdrawal or who need respite from a gambling problem. Clients of the Recovery Centre have full access to outpatient and inpatient addiction treatment services. Detoxification may also be accomplished at home under a doctor’s guidance or in a hospital for those experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms and needing supervised detoxification.
- Opioid Treatment Centre: The Opioid Treatment Centre is located in St. John’s and is administered by Eastern Health. The purpose of this centre is to provide a multidisciplinary approach to treatment, mainly through methadone maintenance, for individuals experiencing opiate addiction.
- Crisis Support: Anyone experiencing a crisis as a result of their substance use and/or gambling problems may contact the Mental Health Crisis Line at 1-888-737-4668 or the Problem Gambling Helpline at 1-888-899-4357 (HELP).
- Not sure who to contact? Click