Mental Health and Addictions System Navigator: Barry Hewitt
Tel: (709) 752-3916 Toll-Free: 1-877-999-7589
To offer an interdisciplinary approach towards assessment and treatment of mental health problems/mental illness during the acute phase.
Adults with mental health and/or addictions concerns.
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
There are 42 adult acute care beds and 7 Short Stay beds at the Waterford. There are 20 acute care beds at the Health Science Centre.
- The Acute Care Division within the Mental Health & Addictions Program provides interdisciplinary assessment, acute intervention, and follow up.
- Close linkages are maintained within the community.
- There are four Acute Care units within the Mental Health & Addictions Program:
- 1 South, Health Science Centre (709) 777-6475
- West 3A, Waterford Hospital (709) 777-3513
- East 3A, Waterford Hospital (709) 777-3519
- Short Stay (709) 777-3044
- The Short Stay Unit (SSU) was developed to serve those patients who require a brief period of stabilization or needs assessment to ensure rapid reconnection with the community.
- The SSU has seven private beds, with a maximum length of stay of 72 hours or 3 working days.
- The program focuses on brief intensive assessment and crisis intervention; stabilization of factors leading to crisis and return to pre-crisis functioning; as well as coordination and referral to community support services.