YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange
Regional Coordinator, Atlantic-Eastern Quebec: Florence Lux-Côté
|General information email: Info-SWSE@ymcagta.org
Toll-Free: 1-877-639-9987 Email: email@example.com
|Facebook: @YMCAExchanges Twitter: @YMCAExchanges
The YMCA Summer Work Student Exchange Program (SWSE) offers 16-17 year old youth an incredible six week work exchange opportunity to develop French language skills, gain paid work experience, connect with a host family through a reciprocal homestay, and discover a community in Quebec through group activities. This national program enhances personal growth, community involvement, and leadership.
Youth aged 16-17 in St. John’s and surrounding areas.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- The program runs for six weeks in the summer, beginning in early July and ending mid-August.
- To apply for the 2023 summer period click here
- Participants work in a paid position at a local non-profit and will be assigned an employment mentor, giving them an opportunity to gain work experience in a supportive environment.
- Participants stay with a host family in their exchange community, while another participant travels to Newfoundland to stay in their home. If a family cannot host they will need another adult/family to host on their behalf.
- Participants make new friends and enhance their community connection through group activities which are led and supported by their YMCA Local Coordinator.
- Well-trained YMCA Local Coordinators provide support for participants before and during the exchange in order to help them navigate their way through this great journey.
- It is free to apply at www.summer-work.com. After being accepted into the program there is a registration fee of $125. If the cost presents a challenge for participation, SWSE staff can work with you on a solution.
- SWSE is committed to seeing a diversity of participants, such as youth of various ethnicities, races, income levels, religious beliefs, abilities, sexual orientations, and gender identities, among others. Youth applicants and their families can let SWSE staff know if they require any accommodations to support their participation.
- Come work for SWSE where you develop and learn a variety of skills including conflict resolution, administration and teamwork. For current job opportunities click here