Address: 223 Duckworth Street, Suite 202. Haymarket Square, St. John’s, NL A1C 6N1
Toll free: 1.866.739.5215
Facebook: @Writers NL
Founded in 1987, the Writers’ Alliance of Newfoundland and Labrador (WANL) contributes to a supportive environment for writing in the province; works to nurture and inspire writers at all levels and stages of their careers; fosters public recognition of NL writers; advocates for the well-being of writers; and promotes the enhancement of the literary arts in the province and beyond.
WANL is a not-for-profit, member-based organization. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the writing/publishing sector.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Manuscript Evaluation Service: The Manuscript Evaluation Service is designed for writers at all levels who are interested in having their manuscript evaluated by a qualified writer and who are willing to hear constructive criticism. It can be particularly valuable for writers living in rural areas where access to workshops and other literary opportunities are limited.
- Applications are accepted year-round
- Click here WritersNL MES Form. for the application form
- Manuscript Excerpt Evaluations: This service is available on first-come basis, exclusively for members of the WritersNL. All genres are welcome. Evaluators will provide assessment on a 1-2 page synopsis and 10 pages of your work through identifying specific areas that would benefit from certain changes and revisions and what those changes should entail
- Mentorship Program for Emerging Writers: The apprentice position is designed for writers who have a substantial work-in-progress and who are committed to the creative development of their writing. The mentor position is designed for writers with a history of publication and a commitment to the craft of writing.
- WORD Magazine : Through robust articles and balanced content WORD magazine educates and entertains members with articles and resources valuable to the local writing community.
- We want to hear from our writers on inspiring, refreshing and rejuvenating our readers readers with articles ranging from in-depth interviews, personal perspectives, tips, tricks and how-to’s, funny anecdotes/experiences, and much more. Please note: Submissions should be between 500-700 words. Accepted submissions will be published in print and digitally later this year.
- Other opportunities with WORD magazine include:
- Promote your Book: deadline to apply is July 31, 2023.
- Advertising Opportunity: deadline to submit work is July 31,2023.
- Volunteer opportunities: WORD magazine is seeking committee members to help guide the creation of our 2023 edition of WORD magazine: annual publication created for and by members of WritersNL. If this sounds like you or someone you know, please get in contact with WANL Staff at firstname.lastname@example.org and send along your resume and cover letter.
- For more information on any of the opportunities contact us via at email@example.com
- Writers for Hire: A directory of writers in Newfoundland and Labrador available for hire. WANL works to enhance and protect the rights of our writers and has identified the right to be fairly compensated for their work as a high priority for our members.
- Writers must be paid for their services, including readings, manuscript evaluations, proposal writing, editing, school visits, etc (funding for some of these activities, such as school visits, may be available through sources such as the Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council and school boards).
- Writers for Hire Application Form: Get listed on WANL’s Writers for Hire Page by Clicking here
- WritersNL Newsletter: On a bi-weekly basis WritersNL produces a detailed e-newsletters for members, listing upcoming events including: launches, readings, workshops and signings, opportunities for funding, residencies, contests, publication, and MUCH more!
- Submit to the WritersNL newsletter by clicking here
- Other resources: List of various resources on national writers’ organizations, Provincial/Territorial writer’s organizations, funding agencies, local & other writing awards & competitions, programs, conferences & festivals and many more resources. Click here for the full list of resources.
- Inkpod Podcast: List of podcast from various writers on tips, their stories
- Events: Check out WritersNL for upcoming events.
- Merch: Check out merch from WritersNL
- Membership: Members range from acclaimed, internationally-known Newfoundland and Labrador authors to emerging writers wishing to take their first steps towards publication. Types of membership include:
- Regular membership: submit application by clicking here
- Youth membership (18 & under): submit application by clicking here
- If you have trouble downloading the file, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, to request an application. For information on the many benefits and opportunities of membership, visit our Benefits page.
- Workshops: Workshops are offered at various times throughout the year. Workshops have included topics on both the craft and business of writing, such as creative non-fiction, advanced poetry, character development, writing dialogue, grammar basics, book reviewing, play writing, script writing, digital marketing, taxes and the writer, writing for radio, editing, creative writing for youth, and more.