NL Federation of Labour
Street Address: 330 Portugal Cove Place, St. John’s NL A1A 4Y5
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 8597, Stn A, St. John’s NL A1B 3P2
|Tel: (709) 754-1660
Fax: (709) 754-1220
NLFL advocates for improved workplace rights and stronger laws including occupational, health and safety laws as well as workers’ compensation and Employment Insurance programs that are fair and there when people need them.
All workers in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- NLFL fights for better labour laws and strong, accessible public services such as universal health care, education, worker training, elder/home care and child care and early learning.
- Committees are an important vehicle for the advocacy work that the federation does on behalf of working people.
- Education Committee: Works with NLFL affiliates, the Canadian Labour Congress, and other committees of the Federation to establish or coordinate educational sessions, workshops, school visits, training programs or Conferences as determined by the Executive Council.
- Occupational Health and Safety Committee: Liaises with the NL Advisory Committee on OHS, and regularly updates affiliates and the NLFL Executive Council on matters affecting health and safety in the Province. The Committee engages in political action as required to promote worker friendly legislation.
- Women’s Committee: Identifies issues that affect women workers in their unions, workplaces and their communities, and endeavors to build the capacity of women as activists and future leaders. The Committee monitors legislation and social policy that impacts women and develops strategies for education and political action for union members.
- Worker’s Compensation Committee: The Workers’ Compensation Committee shall consult with regulatory bodies as required about issues concerning Workers’ Compensation. The Committee will engage in any political action as required to promote worker friendly legislation. The Committee will update and take direction from the NLFL Executive Council as necessary.
- Young Workers’ Committee: Identifies issues that affect young workers in their unions, workplaces and communities, and endeavors to build the capacity of young workers as activists and future leaders.
- Human Rights Committee: Works with NLFL affiliates and the Canadian Labour Congress to identify human rights issues that impact our membership in their union, workplace, and community and endeavor to build the capacity of under-represented workers as activists and future leaders.
- The NLFL patriciates in and supports several campaigns issues including but not limited to paid sick days, advocating for fair living wage, pharmacare etc and many Days of Action including but not limited to International Women’s Day, National Day of Truth & Reconciliation, The Day of Mourning
- The NLFL lists a number of resources including information for injured workers and their families, Empowering Them: a free community course on gender-based violence, A FAQ section for workers wondering who to contact for a labour issue. Click here to see the resources.
- To stay updated on the lastest news, information by the NLFL click here