3rd Floor, 21 Merrymeeting Road, St. John’s NL A1B 3K3
TTY/Voice: (709) 726-6672 Fax: (709) 726-6650
Mandate: To protect and promote the rights, needs and concerns of people who are profoundly Deaf or who communicate in American Sign Language within the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador
Target Population: People who are profoundly Deaf or who communicate in American Sign Language
Highlight of Programs / Services Offered:
- Employment Services and Support: NLAD Employment Services seeks to ensure that deaf clients have full access to career and employment services which enables them to seek, obtain and keep employment.
- Employment Readiness
- Career Exploration/Career Options
- Job Search Techniques
- Interview Preparation
- Outreach to Local Labour Market/Employers
- Job Maintenance/Employment Monitoring
- Job Accommodations and Supports (TTY’s/Communication Devices)
- Public Awareness and Education Workshops
- Inclusive Education: Inclusive Education for the deaf means the education of students with various hearing levels in a way that addresses the students’ individual differences and needs. An inclusive education program for Deaf students must be customized to address each individual student’s unique needs.
- Sign Language Classes: Classes in ASL are offered to the community from beginner to intermediate.
- Community Support Worker: The Community Support Worker is responsible for providing services to Deaf adults who use American Sign Language (ASL) and supporting Deaf adults as a member of the Deaf community.
- Contact our Community Support Worker Megan at email@example.com
- Health and Wellness Counselling Services: Provides a friendly, confidential and non-judgmental environment where individuals who are culturally Deaf can find support and encouragement for the many problems that can happen during the path of life. Health & Wellness Counselling Services offers assistance to individuals dealing with:
- Deaf Identity
- Feeling Lonely
- Grief & Loss
- Family Problems
- Life Changes (new job, relationships, health concerns)