Empower, The Disability Resource Centre
Address: 4 Escasoni Place, St. John’s, NL A1A 3R6
|Tel: (709) 722-4031 |
Toll Free: 1-866-722-4031
|Fax: (709) 722-0147|
TTY: (709) 772-7998
To provide support, resources and opportunities for empowerment, which enable persons with disabilities to make informed choices about their lives.
People of all ages who have any type/combination of disabilities.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Advocacy Services: Empowering the consumer to do their own advocacy, we help people build their own skills and determine their own approach to solve the problems they face.
- Employer Supports and Services: Providing services, supports, and education to business, employers, government, and service providers, this program aims to showcase the value of hiring people with disabilities as a viable labour source.
- Career Services: Offering help in a variety of ways as requested by the individual.
- Independent Living Internships: Allows those with disabilities to access help within their own communities while providing an opportunity for them to provide the same services to others.
- For additional information about interns available in your community, or if you are interested in becoming an intern, contact the IL Manager at 709-722-4031 ext 203, 866-722-4031, and Email: email@example.com.
- Peer Support: A number of groups provide opportunities to share and learn with those who have personally experienced a similar issue.
- Technology Services: Providing the tools and knowledge needed to access the internet and computers in general.
- In the CAP room, there is a wide range of computer hardware and software all in a fully accessible environment. Anyone can come in and try out a piece of equipment to see what works best for them.
- Adaptive Technology (AT) Program
- AT Internship
- Community Access Program (CAP)
- Volunteer Services: Volunteers play an important role in ensuring programs and services are offered and the needs of those who use them are met. Click here for the Volunteer FAQ page.