Conservation Corps NL
Address: Suite 103, 10 Austin Street, St. John’s, NL A1B 4C2
|Tel: (709) 729-7265
Fax: (709) 729-7270
LinkedIn: Conservation Corps NL
Conservation Corps of NL is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing youth with training and employment in environmental and cultural heritage conservation. Their goals are to help young people gain leadership, teamwork and employment skills; to work with communities and partners to enhance, restore, and sustainably develop the natural and cultural resources of the province; and to develop and promote a strong conservation ethic in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- Green Team Program – Offers youth meaningful employment and skill development opportunities in a supportive team setting. Green Teams focus on local environmental and cultural projects developed in partnership with communities, organizations, and corporate partners.
- Internship Program – Provides non-profit organizations, community groups and municipalities an opportunity to host an intern on a project focusing on environmental or cultural heritage conservation. This program allows for meaningful, paid employment opportunities for recent graduates, while supporting important cultural and environmental initiatives in communities throughout the province.
- Youth Employment: Each Green Team employs four youth (ages 16-30). Three team members and a team leader work closely with the Corps senior staff and the corporate and community partners involved in individual community projects.
- Each internship placement must involve the enhancement, restoration, and sustainable development of our natural or cultural resources; and create relevant and challenging work experiences for recent graduates of natural resource management, environmental technology, rural development, community development and biology programs.
- Climate Change Education Centre (CCEC) – Offers in-classroom presentations to schools across the province.
- Classroom Education: CCNL provides free classroom virtual and in person presentations on the science behind climate change for grades K-12
- Youth Climate Action: supports youth based projects relating to climate change. Youth can receive up to $1000 to fund their existing or new project
- Municipal Climate Sustainability: is a holistic, innovative approach combining traditional asset management with climate change initiatives for small and rural communities in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Water Conservation Project – Focuses on water conservation throughout the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. CCNL is addressing various aspects of our water resources through the delivery of a pan-provincial education campaign and an action-based conservation study of residents on the Northeast Avalon.
- Waterford River Watershed: focuses on conserve an important urban river system in the province
- Adele Poynter Memorial Award – Awarded to a youth who is a resident of Newfoundland and Labrador and who has demonstrated an active commitment to the environment or cultural resources of the province through their volunteer/work activities