Athena Health Centre
Office Address: 215 Lemarchant Rd., St. John’s, A1C 2H5
Mailing Address: Unit 50 Hamlyn Rd. Plaza, Suite 408, St. John’s, NL, A1E 5X7
|Tel: (709) 754-3572 |
Fax: (709) 754-6626
Facebook: Athena Health Care Centre Inc.
To provide medical care, including abortion, to pregnant individuals in an atmosphere of respect and dignity with an emphasis on reproductive freedom.
Pregnant individuals of any age.
Highlights of Programs/Services Offered:
- While at the Clinic you will meet with a trained counselor who will explain the procedure, provide birth control information, and give emotional support.
- We also provide testing for sexually transmitted infections (STI) including chlamydia, gonorrhea, HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis B and C (not mandatory) to our abortion clients.
- Your doctor can refer you to the Clinic, but we prefer that you call us yourself. This will give you the chance to ask questions or voice concerns you might have.
- Newfoundland and Labrador people with MCP are fully insured and therefore do not have to pay for abortion services at this clinic.
- Post-operative teaching is done regarding care after the procedure. Printed handouts with relevant information are given to clients.
- 24-hour emergency contact number available for clients who have any post- operative questions or concerns.
- Prescriptions for birth control are available, and IUD insertions, as well as Nexplanon insertions, can take place on the day of your procedure, immediately after the pregnancy is removed.
- 24-hour emergency contact number is available for clients who have any post- operative questions or concerns.
- Satellite clinics are scheduled monthly for either the west coast of the island, or central.
- Both abortion options are available: Aspiration abortion and Medication abortion – Mifegymiso. Other names are known as Abortion by Suction and Abortion by Pill.
- Available services for emergency IUD insertions after a contraceptive failure — copper IUDs are far more effective (at 99%+ effective) than Plan B (at 75-89%) for contraceptive failure