25 Anderson Avenue,
St. John’s, NL
Tel: (709) 753-9860
Fax: (709) 753-6112
CSC’s goal is a prosperous and inclusive society that supports individuals, families, and communities. The mission of CSC is to encourage citizen engagement, promote the integration of social and economic development and provide leadership in shaping public policies.
Non-profit, community-based groups and volunteers in Newfoundland and Labrador.
Highlight of Program / Services Offered:
• http://www.communitysector.nl.ca is a virtual resource centre for non-profit voluntary groups featuring current news in the sector, tips, a volunteer opportunities board, a directory of websites, and more.
• Provides access to the province’s Social Assistance Policy Manual, helping people through the intricacies of the income support system.
• Conducts in-person and online research on issues of interest to the non-profit community sector.
• Conducts training in areas such as youth engagement (Shaping Your Future Through Volunteerism), board governance, volunteer recruitment and management, and charitable obligation.
• Coordinates and sponsors national Volunteer Week activities.
• Convening organization for Vibrant Communities – St. John’s poverty reduction initiative.
• CSC administers the Student Work and Service Program (SWASP) – Community Service Component, which provides post-secondary students across the province with community service placements at non-profit organizations, in exchange for a tuition voucher and weekly stipend.